Thursday, August 19, 2010

The first rule of varnish club is...



1. You don't worry the varnish.
2. You do NOT worry the varnish.
3. Wherever you put a freshly varnished piece to be out of the way will invariably be the corner you varnish yourself into.
4. Human hair has special magnetic properties that propel it towards fresh varnish, sometimes taking the person it's attached to with it.
5. also, polarized sunglasses can make it difficult to see new varnish going on previous layers.

I had a captain once who made a rule that we weren't allowed to wear sunglasses while varnishing because of this. To which another captain I know would have rebuked, "It's not a piano." I wear my sunglasses when I varnish- and sometimes at night.

Varnish tally:
laz hatch: 3
cabin trunk trim: 3
weatherboards #1: 2, #2: 1, #3: 2
main hatch trim: 1
binnacle: 1
chaz: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment